Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Sunday's Service

As many of you already know, I spent this past week preparing for the weekend. That meant getting things ready for Sunday Morning's service, as well as making sure that I was prepared myself. I spent a good part of the week going over my sermon, and refining it, with the goal of making it the best that I could.

You know what I've learned? No matter how much work you put into a sermon, how good it is has nothing to do with you. I had my notes with me the whole time, and they were helpful for a few parts, but mostly, I just went on what I remembered, and let God do the rest.

I decided, because it was a youth service, that I would do a narrative sermon. Something very different from what Bethel traditionally sees in a regular morning service. I cleaned my car (literally) with an old t-shirt and a pair of jeans, getting them good and gross. They were covered in old car oil and grime. That's what I wore to preach.

Using the perspective of an orphan boy, I walked through different events in Jesus' life, telling them from my point of view. It was an interesting study for myself, as I really wanted to know what it would have been like to have been there and watched it. Sort of recapturing that innocence when you first hear the story of Jesus turning water into wine. It's not just Jesus' first miracle... but it's impossible!

I had to overcome my own fears and desires. Forget that I'm 21 years old, and that I'm standing in front of 400 people, and instead play the part. God is faithful.

As the service progressed, God really worked through the youth to make a huge difference in people's lives. It was an experience that really is indescribable to be a part of. He still works!

No comments: