Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Tired

You know, I really enjoy preaching. It's fun to get a chance to just dig into the Word and discover what it is that God wants to say to the people around me, as well as into my own heart. He's always so faithful in challenging me with what is written in His word, and letting it sink into me.

It's even more fun when I see how God takes my words and my work and molds it into something beautiful and effective to the people in front of me. It certainly has nothing to do with my own skill, but the way it morphs and changes when I'm up there is really a unique way to look at it. Then when you can see people mulling over your words, there is just this huge sense of fulfillment.

But there's a flip side to that coin as well. With every minute that I put into a sermon, it takes a little something out of me. I'm pouring my heart and soul into the words and the teaching that God has given me to prepare, and when it's over and finished on Sunday Morning, I feel like I've run a marathon. Rewarding, yes, but very much in need of a rest. That's how I feel right now. I've still got energy, but spiritually, I just feel worn. It's unique, because it's alive, but just needing some water and a bit of rest!

Good thing God provides those times! Bring on the times of refreshing!

No comments: