Friday, September 29, 2006

Under the Microscope

I had almost forgotten for a moment, when you are a pastor everyone is interested in your life. I decided a few days ago that I would start going to the kids karate class. Less for my own training, and more to get to know kids that I normally wouldn't interact with and be a help to the Sensei. It's not a ton of fun (I know from experience) to have 30+ kids all running around and trying to keep their attention. I'd imagine it's even less when Karate demands an attention span... which really isn't something our culture lends to nowadays.

While walking in after dropping two of my friend's kids off after the class, a lady from my church noticed me in the Gi, and proceeded to ask a few questions. I had nearly forgotten that I am a public figure and once again, more people know me than I know them. It also means that everyone is interested in your business. Doesn't matter if it really is their business or not, they are interested.

Now, this definitely isn't the first time I've been in this situation. Actually, now that I think about it, I think I've been in this situation most of my life. All through Jr. High and High School, because of my involvement in the leadership team at youth, and various clubs at school, through College with my involvement in Student Union, and now as a pastor. It's just something that I'll have to get used to.

The good news about this is that while you don't feel like you can just do something for the sake of doing it, you are always accountable. People are always watching, and it forces you to be consistent with who you want to be, and who you actually are. The other nice thing about this, is that most people are friendly about your life, and have some recognition that you live in the limelight. It opens doors that normally wouldn't be there.

No comments: