Saturday, February 17, 2007

Nobody’s Perfect

Saturday. If you are prepared, and have done your work throughout the week, then you can have Saturday off. That means you can sleep in, you can take the day off and enjoy it. Well, I got to do the latter of those two. I woke up at 5:55 AM this morning, so that I could be awake for the prayer meeting at 6 AM. There were 5 of us there, 4 of whom live here at the BDC, one who called the meeting. I can’t say I remember much, we prayed. Then I went back to sleep.

When I awoke, after some pretty incredible dreams I might add, I was ready to start the day. I had a dream where I was in a car chase, one where I was in Tokyo and another where I was in New York. Don’t ask me where those come in… but they were fun! I ran into town with Jong and ate lunch, then picked up some clothes here in town. Fiji is a very hot place, and I decided that I needed a few more shorts in order to get me through the next few months. In Canada, it’s below zero. Tough life.

I spent the afternoon at Mimi’s place, talking with her and Molly. Amazing how much you crave having that personal interaction in a place like this. For all of its paradise, there is just as much that sucks the life out of you. Without friends, and people of your own age, I’m not sure how you would survive… form a tight group and hang on for the ride.

Around seven, Sebastian flew back into town (literally!) and we went out for lunch at a local Indian place. The food was good, the conversation was better. Expressing your thoughts always brings them into clarity, even if they were fuzzy before. Tonight was one of those nights, an opportunity to defragment everything that has been going on, put it into perspective, and really look at it from a third person perspective. And while there were a lot of things said and realized, I think I can sum it up in a single phrase: nobody’s perfect.

We all have our faults; we all have our frustrations. I know there are many people who probably don’t think so highly of me from my past. Some rightfully, and some not so much, but it serves to remind me that I am not perfect. I am human, and I make mistakes. That grace, and that reminder is important for us to remember, so that when we meet someone who also is not perfect, we are not hasty to dole out judgement.
Remember: nobody’s perfect.

No comments: