Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Stay in Touch

It is amazing how when busy you can stay when you have a free day. Things take time to get done. I had a bit of a slow start to the day, just relaxing to the sound of the rain outside while I waited for an opportunity to run into town. The plan was to finish what I started yesterday and get onto the internet to talk to some people back home and send out replies to the many different e-mails I had. There was a short break around one, so I quickly got out to the street, and amazingly a cab picked me up right away.

I spent most of the afternoon talking with Jordan. She was online around the same time, so we had a chance to spend some actual time talking, and that was really the first long conversation we’ve had since Christmas. Strange how 15 minutes conversations just don’t seem to cut it compared to a chance when you can wade through the ‘catching up’ phase and actually be able to carry dialogue on a deeper level.

At the same time, I finally caught my Dad online! I’ve been trying to get a hold of him for the past week, but we always manage to miss each other. The past few years have given me a deep appreciation for the relationship that we have built because of the hard work that has gone into it. I am blessed to have a father who can give me a wisdom and an external situation while still knowing me very well. He often helps me sort through the issues I can’t quite get my head around.

On my way out of town, I hopped into one of the van carriers. They run people around for the same cost as a bus, and have the added advantage that you take your life into your own hands! Haha, they usually aren’t that bad, and it’s normally not as crowded as the bus. A young couple from Denmark got onto the same carrier, and so having equal amount of white people in the car as natives, I decided to strike up a conversation. They were in the process of travelling throughout the world, starting in London, travelling through Thailand, Singapore, Australia and then to Fiji. I could have told you this, but Fiji is super expensive to live in. They said what it takes to live in Fiji for one week would last you at least a month in Thailand. And another bonus fact: they were leaving for Toronto in the next few days. Suckers! They had some idea what kind of weather they were stepping into… but they won’t really feel it until they get off the plane. It was a fun conversation, and they were pleasant people! You meet all sorts of people around here.

The evening consisted of going to a pizza dinner at Meriam’s with a bunch of the pilots on the island. Both Jong and I had other places to be in the evening, so we rolled in for a quick eat and run, but it was good to catch some conversation with people my own age. A lot of those guys (and girl!) intrigue me, because their belief in God is nominal, and Three Hills isn’t really the best place to meet people like them… so it is fun to see where the conversations go.

Then it was back to the BDC for the weekly Bible study.

And God is continually teaching me that attitude is important. He’s also teaching me not to hold too tightly to the way you do things, flexibility is a valuable trait to have.

No comments: