Sunday, February 25, 2007

This is Where It's At…

It’s hard to really know what to say in a moment like this, because in on one hand you are both excited about the opportunities that are presented in front of you, and at the next, you are unsure about where the future will really lead you.

I was awoken this morning by Tupau, the elder here at Lami church, asking if I wanted to go up the mountain to have breakfast with his family. They don’t have an AM service here in Lami, so his entire family (which is most of the church) gets together for breakfast in the mornings. While this may sound like an awesome idea, it was only 7:30 AM and I hit the sack about 3 AM. Regardless, opportunities like this rarely come up, so I was up and at ‘em far earlier than I planned this morning!

We drove a little ways down the road, and then climbed up some cemented steps to Tupau’s home. I know what you’re thinking… why is Tupau living at the church when he has a home? Well, his entire extended family moved into his house, so he moved out. It’s a cultural thing that I don’t know if I ever really will understand.

After breakfast, I came back and slept till about 1, and the afternoon was filled with getting reading for Sunday night. I once again led the Senior youth, talking about Paul’s second missionary journey. Then the evening service.

You’d be amazed how loud worship can be when 2/3rds of your congregation consists of people under 18. They aren’t ashamed of what they have to sing, and they aren’t afraid to do it loud. It is both fun and amazing to listen to. I have a few videos posted that should give you a little bit of an idea of what it is like.

The message went well, and after the service, a few of us had dinner at the church, talking about some of the problems I’ve been having here. Encouraging to know I’m not the only one in the midst of it all; or the first one to go through them.

Ministry, people, life… this is where it is at.

No comments: